Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Self-proclaimed "Central Coast Bargainista"

So for years and years now, my friends and family have been telling me to do something...to talk about my life as a bargain-hunter, how I save money by using coupons, price-matching, perusing the clearance aisles and by never paying full price. The thrill of seeking deals has been a passion of mine for many years, a life that became more prominent when children entered the picture.

Living on a single income and being a stay-at-home Mom made me realize just how important it really is to be able to pay less to be able to spend more on things we really love (like eating out, vacations, fun stuff for the family to do, etc). In order to do that and still fulfill my need to shop, I turned to bargains as my savior. Clearance sections were my go-to's. Coupons became a way of life. Going to a restaurant without using one just feels so wrong. Buying things at the grocery store and drug stores have never been more fun, matching coupons with sale prices and store coupons. I am able to stockpile doing this which allows us so many options for meals and choices on which brands to use and try. I admit I'm not really loyal to one particular brand. If there's a coupon, I'll try it. If I don't like it, well, it was next to nothing so who cares?!

I love to shop at thrift stores, consignment shops, yard sales and the like. I don't see anything wrong with re-using old items. If anything, I love being able to restore something to new, even if all I have to do is sew a little here and there or just paint it! I have found many many great pieces for FREE. Furniture, clothes, household items, electronics, etc. Thank goodness for Craigslist and Freecyle! Like the saying goes "A person's trash is another person's treasure"! There is one rule I follow though: NO USED SHOES. Unless ofcourse I CAN restore it to new (like buff it if it's leather and replace the soles inside). But then again, I don't really look for used shoes, it's just icky to me especially if I can't wash it.

The best part is that even if I don't need it, if there's a real value to an item, I buy it and turn around and sell it on Ebay...which brings me to the next subject - MAKING MONEY. I have gotten free items using coupons and I usually donate them (like food, deodorant, toothpaste, dishwashing soap, etc). But for things that have a higher price point (like hair color, shavers, etc) then I sell them at yard sales for like $2 and make some money. For brand-name clothing and other items of value, I sell on Craigslist and Ebay.

I have so many tips and tricks I can't wait to share. So keep your eye out for them! So please FOLLOW MY BLOG! Thanks! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment